Friday, July 15, 2011

Creamed Spinach

Creamed SpinachSpinach isn't something I remember liking or eating much growing up. I bet if my mom had used this recipe, I would have appreciated spinach a whole lot more as a kid. My own daughter was disappointed tonight when she discovered I hadn't made enough for her to have a third helping with dinner.

10 oz spinach
1 T butter
⅓ c heavy cream
½ c grated Romano cheese (1 oz)
Pinch nutmeg
  1. Blanch spinach in boiling water 1-2 min or use frozen, thawed spinach. Drain thoroughly and roughly chop.
  2. Melt butter over medium-high heat and add chopped spinach.
  3. Sauté spinach in butter until wilted.
  4. Add cream and reduce heat. Simmer until sauce begins to thicken (6-8 min).
  5. Remove from heat. Add cheese and nutmeg, stirring until smooth.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size ½ c
Serving per Recipe 4
Amount per Serving
Calories 103
Total Fat 8.7 g
  Saturated Fat 5.4 g
  Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
  Monounsaturated Fat 2.4 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 165 mg
Potassium 411 mg
Total Carbohydrates 3.1 g
  Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
  Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 4.5 g

No comments:

Post a Comment