Saturday, August 6, 2011

Peanut Chicken

Peanut ChickenAs I began to create this dish in my head, I was intending it to be a basic Asian-style meal. When I started actually cooking, however, I discovered I didn't have all the ingredients I thought I had for authentic Asian flavor. So I changed my plan to Asian-West African Fusion, because that sounds classier than "what-I-had-in-my-fridge-ican."

2 T oil, divided
2 T soy sauce
2 T peanut butter
1 t vinegar
¼ t black pepper
3 T water
1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1-in cubes
⅓ c peanuts (2 oz)
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1½ T grated fresh ginger
1 c chopped spinach (5 oz)
1½ c julienned carrots (6 oz)
1 t lemon juice
  1. Stir together 1 t oil with soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, cayenne, and water. Set aside.
  2. Sear chicken in 1 T oil.
  3. In a separate pan, sauté carrots in lemon juice and remaining oil until soft.
  4. Add peanuts, bell pepper, garlic, ginger and spinach to chicken and reduce heat to medium. Cook until spinach is wilted.
  5. Pour peanut sauce into pan with chicken and simmer until sauce begins to thicken.
  6. Serve over carrots.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size ¼ recipe
Serving per Recipe 4
Amount per Serving
Calories 331
Total Fat 18.6 g
  Saturated Fat 2.8 g
  Polyunsaturated Fat 4.5 g
  Monounsaturated Fat 6.6 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 855 mg
Potassium 466 mg
Total Carbohydrates 11.8 g
  Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
  Sugars 3.0 g
Protein 30.2 g

No comments:

Post a Comment