1 eggplant (1¼ lbs)
½ t salt, divided
1 lb ground beef
½ c minced onions (2 oz)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t oregano
½ t thyme
¼ t pepper
1½ c diced tomatoes (14 oz)
1½ c almond flour (6 oz)
1 c grated Romano cheese (2 oz)
1 egg, beaten with 2 T water
½ c heavy cream
½ c shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz)
- Cut eggplant into ¼-in slices. Sprinkle with ¼ t salt and set in a colander to drain.
- Brown ground beef with onions. Drain grease and add garlic, oregano, thyme, and pepper. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Stir in tomatoes and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Blend together almond flour and cheese until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Pour almond mixture into a shallow dish and beaten egg into a second dish.
- Drain eggplant well and pat dry. Dip each piece in the egg and the into the almond mixture, lightly coating both sides.
- Fry slices over medium heat on a griddle brushed with oil until the coating is browned and crispy, about 4 min per side.
- Stir cream into tomato sauce and remove from heat.
- Arrange half the eggplant slices on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Cover with half the sauce. Make another layer of eggplant and cover with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over the top layer of sauce.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 min or until cheese is browned and eggplant is cooked through.
- Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
|Serving Size 1 slice|
Serving per Recipe 12
|Amount per Serving |
Total Fat 18.0 g
Saturated Fat 6.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 8.5 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 211 mg
Potassium 392 mg
Total Carbohydrates 8.3 g
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 13.9 g