Updated to note: If you're looking for something more appropriate for dessert, check out my Sweet Apple Tart recipe.
1 c walnuts (4 oz)
¼ t salt
1½ T cold butter
1 egg white
1 t icy water
- In a coffee grinder or food processor, pulse walnuts and salt until finely ground. Let cool in refrigerator 20 min.
- Combine ground walnuts and butter with a pastry blender or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Beat egg white with water and stir into walnut mixture.
- Press evenly into an 8-in tart or springform pan.
6 strips bacon, diced (5 oz)
¼ c minced onion (2 oz)
1 T maple syrup
1 egg yolk
2 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (9 oz)
- Sauté together bacon and onion over medium-high heat until bacon is browned and crisp.
- Drain, reserving 1 T grease.
- Stir in syrup and reserved grease. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Beat egg yolk with a small spoonful of bacon mixture.
- Pour egg into pan and stir together until fully incorporated.
- Add apple slices and toss to coat.
- Arrange apples in even layers atop crust. Top with any remaining bacon mixture.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 30 min.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 min or until crust is golden and apples are tender.
|Serving Size 1 slice|
Serving per Recipe 8
|Amount per Serving |
Total Fat 16.4 g
Saturated Fat 3.9 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.0 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 179 mg
Potassium 112 mg
Total Carbohydrates 9.0 g
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 4.6 g